Cloud Computing? Sounds quite complicated and technical? Well it not quite complicated and most of us have already stepped on the cloud, read through.
As Wikipedia defenition puts it, “Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources, software and information are provided to computers and other devices on-demand, like electricity.”
Cloud computing could be termed as a revolution in the computing field. What are the benefits of cloud computing? The 3 simple and obvoius benefits are:-
- Elastic/ Flexibility – you could increase or decrese your computing capability at a cost.
- Inexpensive – the cost you provide for the cloud computing is very less.
- Reliability – due to the distributed nature the cloud is available
Cloud computing evolved on the basis of three distinct concepts that appeared in the computing world.
- Virtualization -Where the applications were separated from the infrastructure.
- Utility Computing – Where the infrastructure/server capacity was offered as a grid or group with a cost that varied based on the sizing
- Software as a service (SaS) – Where software was offere as service and the users had to subscribe to access it
Initially it was SaS, where applications were hosted on the internet and people has to buy an account to access that service. Then came virutalization and developers needed to create virutalized applications so that an application could run on an virtual environment. Well essentially this meant that with a few other modifications it could be made to run anywhere, even on a grid platform. All these developments paved way for the evolution of cloud computing.
So thats it ‘Cloud computing’ is simple and easy for the end user, it hides the complexity behind it quite well. All the complexity is for the cloud service provider to handle. Complexity? Yes its all about Servers, Network Infrastructure, virutalized computing environment,cloud APIs, etc,.
There are a host of cloud service providers who are cooming up. Few of them are:-
One of the commonly used cloud application is Google’s Gmail. so now you know that you already in the internet sky. Wait for our next article on the different interesting cloud based applications out there.