Toddlers, is an age of great inquisitiveness and very strong likes and dislikes. They need to be entertained well enough or are likely to throw tantrums once in a while. They learn a lot during this age. So better than getting them in front of the television, the best thing is to engage them in various activties. I do give my toddler 1/2 hour to 1hr a day to watch programs like Barney which I believe teaches them and reinforces values.
We can teach them small things little by little, its better not to wait until sending them to Kindergarten. Learning is real fun for them at this age.
We can teach them
- ABC’s : I used to sing to her the ABC’s everyday and by the age of 2 she could sing it on he own. We also have a chart in our home, where she could touch and show me the alphabets
- Numbers : Toddlers love having imaginary conversations over the phone. Most of them would have a toy phone. When they talk, you could ask them to dial the numbers you are saying. so that way they can recognize the numbers
- Nursery Rhymes : It is always fun to sing the Rhymes with actions and they learn it real fast. I have also taught my child the traditional Rhymes from back in India.
Some “should knows” for toddlers:
How much ever you try to keep the toddler near you, there are chances that their curiosity always drives them wild and they go after things. Back in India people in our locality knew us and our families. But being an expatriate in Kuwait, it may not be so. Hence we should be cautious.
So for the kids to get back to you, here are some useful tips
- They should know the name of the place you stay in. (building name or no., apartment no., some landmark)
- They should know your phone number. During their imaginary conversations ask them to dial your number. So that way they learn your number too.
- Parents Names
- Place of work of at least one parent
Being toddlers, is the time I feel they learn a lot. Whatever we say, sinks deep into them and I can see the my child repeats the those things I’ve been saying even though I think she isn’t listening 🙂