Mobile Number Portability in India is real now. Initial reports in the news indicates that most of the service providers may not gain or loss any considerable amount of customers. If you wish to change your service provider, here is the step by step guide
- Send an SMS to 1900 in following format: PORT – eg. PORT 9999999999 (your mobile number).
- You will get an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code.
- SMS to the preferred operator quoting the unique code. This code is valid only for a few days, and one must apply again if it expires.
- Your existing operator will check with new operator & if there are no dues then approval will be given for porting.
- You will get an SMS on the time and date when porting will take place. Rules mandate that process be completed within 4 days of applying.
- After porting is complete, wait for an SMS from your new operator confirming the switch. Your phone may be dead for about 2 hours when the porting takes place.
Many CDMA customers may switch to a GSM service provider considering the handset options. BSNL may loose many customers because of their bureaucratic staff.Some others like friends and family on different service providers may also switch to a soigle service provider to take advantage of the attractive tariff packages, including free calls within the same network, etc.But before you make any switch check whether your operator is providing a similar option.
Are you planning to switch? What are the scenarios you have to go for a switch