Applying for a passport in India has become relatively easy, as we have the facility for online registration. The first step is filling up the Application form. After filling up the form, the process varies in different places. In some places, we submit the forms at the nearest passport office.(Not an online process, I agree, that’s why i mentioned “relatively” easy 🙂 ) In other places we upload it online and then for the rest of the processing we need to visit the Passport Seva Kendra (Currently this process is available only in Bangalore).
The places where we have the online registration facility are the following(as per Nov-2010):
To apply for a passport, we need to follow a few steps
- Online Registration
- Required Documents
- Proof of Address – It could be the Voter’s Id or any other Bill (Electricity/Water/ Telephone) or Spouse’s passport copy
- Proof of Date of Birth – Birth Certificate or certificate of Date of Birth from the school that you have last attended.
- Proof for ECNR Eligibility – People who have educational qualification of matriculation or above, Income tax payers, people above 50, Gazetted Officers are some of the people who are eligible for ECNR. Here you can find the rest of the category who are eligible for ECNR. If you are eligible you need to provide the supporting documents. Eg. If you have educational qualification of matriculation or above then you need to attach the copies of your certificate.
- Verify the Application Form
We need to fill up the Application Form as the primary step. Once the form has been filled up, we will get an application number, which will be the reference number for the later processing. We need to save the Application Form and then print it. We will also get a date and time for the appointment at the Passport Office for submitting the application form.
The list of supporting documents we need to attach while submitting the Passport Application Form are the following:
Only the key details would be asked for in the Online Registration Form and hence we need to go through the printed form and write down the additional details that need to be filled up.
- When manually filling up the form we need to use a blue / black ball point pen.
- The details needed to filled in capital letters.
- Photographs should be attached and the signatures should be put wherever necessary.
- The requirement documents are attached.
Any additional information for filling up the form can be found here.
You need to report at your Passport Office on the day of your appointment a few minutes early and submit the Application Form along with the required documents. Its always better to have the originals of the documents just in case officers need to cross check for verification.
If we require any other service like the Police Clearance Certificate, Deletion of ECR Stamp, Inclusion of Spouse’s name and change of address we require Form 2. It has to be filled in and submitted to the nearest passport office. For more information you can visit the Consular of Passport and Visa Division Website