BitDefender Internet Security suite is one among the best Internet Security solutions. It comes with features such as anti-virus, anti-malware, parent control, email filtering etc… We tested it against known malware, phishing sites, junk emails etc… We summarize our review as below:
Pros: Very good overall protection, False positives are very limited, Very friendly user interface, efficient parental controls, wireless network segmentation
Cons: Registration & Download took around 20 Minutes, Search advisor can be improved and running BitDefender has a slight impact on the PC performance when compared with other products.
Our thoughts: Except for the slight performance hit, the product is impressive in PC protection and if the system meets the recommended system requirements, the performance hit may not get noticed.
You can download a 30 day trial version from BitDefender site or answer few questions at our Facebook page and get a 90 day subscription for FREE.
Recommended System Requirements
For better performance, the following are the recommended system requirements
- Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7
- Intel CORE Duo (1.66 GHz) or equivalent processor
- 1GB RAM (Windows XP and Windows 7)
- 1.5GB RAM (Windows Vista)
- 600 MB available hard disk space
- Internet Explorer 7
Installation of BitDefender
Installation of BitDefender takes around 20 minutes over a 512KB DSL connection. You will need to sign up for an account though which allows you to access their online services such as product updates, parental controls and product support. During the install process, you will be asked to remove any existing security software & firewalls which is existing in the system. It is not a good practice to have two different anti-virus software running on the same system, as it can confuse each other as malware as they carry similar signatures of malwares. Once the previous security software is disabled, it will perform a scan to detect any existing threats which could hamper the installation or operation of the anti-virus.
Once the installation is over you will get the following screen where you can start working on the configurations and how it should be configured
The Dashboard is pretty impressive, which gives very easy navigation thru the features of the anti-virus. Functions such as scanning or firewall configuration can be accessed in 1-2 clicks.
The dashboard can be viewed with different levels of expertise namely Basic, Intermediate and Expert
The Basic View shows the Security status of the system and the options to
- Update the antivirus
- Security tools – vulnerability scan, Full system and quick scan
- Tools – View and Fix all issues, Help and Support, Quick Scan
This is a good option for novice users as it would not make them confused and is the recommended option if you are not with a computer background
In the Intermediate view there are 3 tabs – Dashboard, Security and Network.
- Dashboard Tab – In the Dashboard you have the option to choose the custom shortcuts you need the most.
- Security Tab – Here the various security statuses are displayed. Hence we can get a clear idea about the different statuses within a glance.
- Network Tab – This shows the home network structure and shows the PCs connected to the home network.
There are 3 tabs in the Expert View – Dashboard, Setting and System Info.
- Dashboard – The system status (if the system is protected) and the statistics are displayed.
- Settings Tab – This enables us to set the preferences for BitDefender.
- System Info – Provides system related information
Key features include the following
- Search Advisor
- Parental control
- Privacy Control
- Registry cleaner
- File storage
- Network protection
- Encryption for instant messaging
BitDefender Internet Security 2011 is an impressive antivirus suite available in the market. It is very easy to use and provides considerable protection. If your hardware is older than 2 years a not of warning that it may impact your PC performance. We conclude that this as good for any type of PC users.